Investment telecouplings include a number of subcategories. Conservation investment, e.g. payments for ecosystem services, may conserve and restore environmental sustainability in receiving systems, may or may not compromise sustainability in the sending systems, and may influence spillover systems in various ways. Development investment, e.g. foreign direct investment, may stimulate economic markets and resource use, e.g., for agricultural production, manufacturing facilities, and affect the environment in the receiving systems. It may or may not slow down economic growth or resource development in the sending systems, and may influence spillover systems in various ways.
- Aurora Torres, Jodi Brandt, Kristen Lear, Jianguo Liu. 2017. A looming tragedy of the sand commons. Science, 357:6355, pp. 970-971. DOI: 10.11126/science.aao0503
- Yang, D., J. Cai, V. Hull, K. Wang, Y.-P. Tsang, and J. Liu. 2016. New road for telecoupling global prosperity and ecological sustainability. Ecosystem Health and Sustainability, 2:10:e01242. DOI: 10.1002/ehs2.1242
- Baling Fang, Yi Tan, Canbing Li, Yijia Cao, Jianguo Liu, Pia-Johanna Schweizer, Haiqing Shi, Bin Zhou, Hao Chen, Zhuangli Hu. 2016. Energy sustainability under the framework of telecoupling. Energy, 106, pp. 253-259. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2016.03.055
- Fang, Wang and Jianguo, Liu. 2016. Conservation planning beyond giant pandas: the need for an innovative telecoupling framework. SCIENCE CHINA Life Sciences 60:551. DOI: 10.1007/s11427-016-0349-0
- Carter, N., Viña, A., Hull, V., McConnell, W., Axinn, W., Ghimire, D., and Liu, J. 2014. Coupled human and natural systems approach to wildlife research and conservation. Ecology and Society 19:3. DOI: 10.5751/ES-06881-190343
- Jianguo Liu, Wu Yang. 2013. Integrated assessments of PES programs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110:41, pp. 16297-16298. DOI: 10.1073/pnas. 1316036110